Equine Musculoskeletal & Rehabilitation Therapies
A holistic, whole horse approach, addressing biomechanics, posture, training & nutrition providing you with a structured plan to bring your horse back to their best health.
• A session involves a full assessment of your horse looking at overall health, nutrition, posture, conformation and biomechanics (in hand, and if required under saddle).
• Palpation and range of motion (ROM) tests are then performed to find any problems areas and restrictions your horse may have.
• Body work component of the session in which a variety of techniques are incorporated to address the noted restrictions, releasing the muscles and increasing joint function and mobility.
With training in several modalities a combination of techniques are used such as:
• Sports massage
• Deep tissue mobilisation
• Joint mobilisation & Body Articulation
• Trigger therapy
• Laser and Microcurrent therapy
• Craniosacral therapy, Kinesio taping, stretches and remedial exercises.
Additionally training methods may be examined and new techniques and exercises recommended to get your horses training back on track.
Equine Sports Massage
ESM is the application of professional sports massage techniques that manipulate the soft tissues for injury prevention, whilst restoring the normal ROM of these tissues and the joints they surround.
Equine Injury Rehabilitation
Bringing a horse back into work after an injury is a very daunting task, with many owners not knowing where to start. E.P.R.S consults with your veterinarian to develop an easy to follow, day to day guide to bringing your horse back into work, ensuring the injured area is strengthened gradually, reducing the risk for re-injury later down the track. Additionally E.P.R.S offers rehab specific Equine Sport Therapy sessions with a focus on increasing the healing rate of the injury whilst addressing any compensation problems that may arise, giving your horse the best chance of a successful recovery.
Equine Craniosacral Therapy
This therapy is derived from osteopathy with a focus on the central nervous system, using a light touch to optimise body movement. It is highly effective in addressing a number of issues including: headshaking, facial nerve paralysis & head injuries/traumas.
Equine Kinesiology Taping
Kinesiology taping is used for athletic training support as well as therapeutically to aid the recovery/rehab process. Unlike traditional sports taping this tape does not compress the tissues.
Equine Myofascial Release
A very gentle, and slow technique that allows the collagen fibres to re-calibrate in the appropriate pattern which allows maximum strength and function. It may appear that not much is happening during myofascial release but it can be profoundly powerful.
Equine Remedial Exercise Sessions
more information to come…